Searching for background information is part of the research process! You may shift your topic based on what you discover (or don't ) along the way.
What Can You Gain From Background Research?
- Key Words or phrases for searching that are specific to your topic
- Major ideas related to your topic
- People places, time periods that are relevant to your topic
- Additional readings on your topic (Look for citations)
- Information that answers basic information on your topic (the who, the what, the where, the when, the why)
Where Do I Find Background Information?
- General encyclopedias
- Subject-specific encyclopedias
- Article databases (News and Magazines)
- Government and Educational organizations