Look for basic background information:
- If you are just getting started with your research, and you want to get a general sense of a topic, look through the handbooks, encyclopedias, and websites featured on background information and facts.
We recommend searching for books when you want to find a broad overview of a topic.
- Books and book chapters are excellent sources of historical overview on a topic.
- You can also find several view points on a topic in one collected volume.
Search for journal articles when:
- you have an especially narrow or specific topic in mind
- you want to find source of peer-reviewed publications
- You need the most current information