Sometimes thinking of a topic can be the hardest part of the research process. If you are stuck for a topic,look at the tips section below and try browsing available resources listed to the right.
Here are some basic tips for selecting a topic for any research paper.
- Choose a topic that interests you. If it's something you like, you'll enjoy it.
- Make sure that your topic is not so broad that you are overwhelmed with information.
- Make sure that your topic is not so narrow that you can't find enough information.
- Limit your topic to a time period if necessary. For example, 2, 5 or 10 years.
- Limit your topic to a geographical area if necessary. For example, the United States or Kentucky or Louisville.
- Consider how much information you need. For example, your professor may require 3 scholarly articles, 1 book, and 1 newspaper article. It's best to know what you need before you even start looking.
- Start your research early to eliminate stress and anxiety.