Common Read Essay Contest 2013
My Beloved World
By Sonia Sotomayor
In My Beloved World, U. S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor shares many of the experiences she has had entering new worlds, even when she sometimes felt like a newcomer or an outsider. Throughout, she relies on the strength she draws from her family, her community, and others.
What lessons will you take from the book as you travel your path toward a college degree?
Guidelines for Entries
1. Your essay should be no longer than 1,000 words.
2. Be specific. Don’t forget to provide specific examples from the book and from your own experience to illustrate your points.
3. One essay per person.
4. Please include the following information: Your name, instructor's name, essay title, student ID, email address, and phone number.
5. The essay must be an original work by the student.
We encourage using both the Library Research Guide http://researchguides.sunywcc.edu/content.php?pid=477429
and the Academic Support Centers.
6. Essays will be read and judged by a panel of faculty members.
Deadline for entries is December 13th, 2013
Email your submission to:
email@example.com and attach it as a Word document.
1st place winner - $200.00
2nd place winner - $100.00
3rd place winner - $50.00
The winners will be announced on December 20th, 2013