Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
WCC Library Citation Workshops FALL 2022
Why We Cite
When you write a research paper, you use information and facts from a variety of resources to support your own ideas to develop new ones. You cite these sources for the following reasons:
- To Give Credit to the original source by acknowledging experts and scholars for their contribution.
- To Establish Credibility by demonstrating to your reader that your ideas are well supported.
- To Help the Reader by guiding them to more information about your topic.
- To Help Researchers Organize and Share Information in a Standardized Way
The Path of a Citation
The purpose of the in-text citation is to direct the reader to the full citation on the Reference page by creating a path from:
- The original source to
- Your text using in-text citations to
- Your Reference page
Resources for Citing Sources in APA 7 Format