Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What's in this Guide?
Welcome! This research guide was created for students in Prof. Vecchio's 20th Century U.S. History class.
You have been assigned a research project that requires locating sources about a topic of your choice.
This guide is a customized resource for this particular course and assignment.
The resources on these pages will help you:
- Find background information on your topic
- Develop a search strategy
- Find scholarly research articles using the library databases
- Find primary source material
- Evaluate sources
- Cite your sources using MLA 8 format
- Avoid plagiarism
- Get additional help
Your project requires you to write a 5-7 page paper about a document that you have selected from your textbook. You will need to answer the following questions about the document:
- What is the subject and source (author) of the document?
- What are the problems being identified by the source?
- Does the subject of the document surprise you given what you know about the United States and American society of the source?
You will need to write a well-developed thesis statement about your topic that should be no less than two paragraphs.
- Consider raising a debatable question on the subject.
- Consider selecting a subtopic to write about.
You must use at least 15 sources from a variety of source types: books, journals, magazines, newspapers, online resources, film, or oral sources.