Midterm Literature Review Assignment
A literature review is a descriptive summary of research on a topic that has previously been
studied. The purpose of a literature review is to inform readers of the significant knowledge and
ideas that have been established on a topic. Its purpose is to compare, contrast and/or connect
findings that were identified when reviewing researchers' work. Oftentimes, literature reviews
are written to ground a study in a particular context of what is known about a subject in order to
establish a foundation for the topic (or question) being researched.
The purpose of this assignment is to facilitate your abilities to research a topic of study so you
can learn to (1) identify and formulate an inquiry question that defines what you'd like to learn,
(2) apply your knowledge on reading research that you've learned in class, (3) analyze
information found in educational journal articles, and (4) synthesize new knowledge into a
written literature review.
For this assignment you are asked to complete a literature review on a topic of your choice. You
are asked to locate at least 5 journal articles on your topic and write a 5-7 page literature review
on the articles you've selected.
Steps to complete your literature review:
1. Choose a topic that you are interested in studying.
2. Formulate an inquiry question that specifically describes what would like to know about
your educational topic.
3. Go to the library to search for and locate journals that include your topic's information.
4. Find articles, read the abstracts, and skim the articles to determine if they correspond well to
your topic AND inquiry question.
5. Select at least 5 journal articles and photocopy them for your project.
6. Read your articles and begin to sort and classify them according to their findings.
7. Organize your articles by sorting and classifying their findings in a meaningful way, always
considering your original topic and inquiry question.
8. Write an outline for your literature review.
9. Write your review